York Railways

The railways have been an important part of city life over the last 150 years, and the city is the location for the National Railway Museum. The station is situated on the East Coast main line, with trains going from London’s King Cross station to Edinburgh Station.

The first railway station in York was opened in 1839, and a larger building built in 1841. They were both situated inside the city walls, and the second railway station still exists, and a large hole was made through the city walls to let the trains enter the station.

The third station, which is still used today as the city’s railway station, was opened in 1877, and there are eleven platforms still in use reflecting the continued important of the railways to the city.  When it was built, it was the largest station in the country, with an 800 foot long roof and curving platforms.

The station building was badly damaged in the Second World War, but was repaired in 1947. The station buildings were again renovated from 2008 to 2009, although the planned ticket gates which the train operator wanted to install were refused planning permission by York Council.