York Grammar School
The school was founded in 1546 by Robert Holgate, who was the Archbishop of York, and the founder of a number of other schools in the area.
In 1948 the school accepted the new “voluntary controlled” status and continued to provide a grammar school education free of charge to local students. The school was renamed Archbishop Holgate’s School in the 1985, when the school changed from an all boys’ grammar school to a fully co-educational comprehensive school. It has been significantly expanded in size and facilities in recent years.
More about the school can be found in the book “A History of Archbishop Holgate’s Grammar School in York, 1546-1946” by EN Jewels.