Part of the nave dates from the thirteenth century, although most of the structure is from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
The church of St. Martin-cum-Gregory is situated off Micklegate and has had this name since it merged with the church of St. Gregory in 1585. As the steeple was falling down it was removed and rebuilt in 1677 and in 1680 a new clock and dial was added to the steeple. In 1565 the Lord Mayor had given 100 marks (around 70 pounds) to buy three bells for the church.
In October 1828 the church-wardens requested that the butter market be demolished as it wasn’t used, with permission being granted the month after. The butter market had been erected here in 1778 to replaced the one which blew down in 1777, and was there to measure and mark the butter.
The church is now used as a centre for stained glass.