St. Helen’s Church in Stonegate and facing St. Helen’s Square has Norman origins. It was originally a rectory which was owned by the Priory of Molseby in Lincolnshire and later fell into disrepair, with the church being substantially rebuilt in the 1550s.
The church’s new smaller churchyard was consecrated in October 1745 with the old churchyard being turned into St. Helen’s Square. The tower of the church dates from 1814 and the church was restored in 1857 by William Atkinson. The following year, in 1858, a new chancel was added which was built by William Hey Dykes.
The church is still open today and also contains a font which dates to the late twelfth century. More information about the church is available at http://www.sthelensyork.org.uk/.