Much of St. Giles Church, which is situated on Gillygate which was itself named after the church, was built in around the twelfth century. The existence of the church was first mentioned in a document from around 1150 and is thought to have possibly been a chapel of St. Olave’s Church. In 1586 the parish of St. Giles was merged with St. Olave’s and shortly afterwards the church of St. Giles was demolished.
St. Giles has been the church of the Skinner’s Guild, and despite being in private hands it was used to bury many of the plague victims in 1605 and was also used to bury executed criminals until the late seventeenth century.
Although there are now no remains of the church it was situated near to the Salvation Army building on Gillygate.