The foundation stone of St Crux Church, Pavement was laid on 1st April 1697 and built in the perpendicular style. There was a fire in the church in 1867, when the roof caught fire from the lit stoves. Buckets of water were lifted to the roof by firemen and the damage was estimated at around 20 pounds. The building was declared unsafe in 1872 and was demolished in 1884. Many tried to save the church, but the demolition went ahead and was finally completed in 1887. St Crux parish room was the replacement, built on the same site.