Spurriergate takes its name from “Spurmaker Street” and was also originally known as Little Conystrete.
The Church of St Michael’s is on Spurriergate, and it was used to store items which should have been destroyed following the Reformation in the sixteenth century. Until 1931 the curfew bell rang every night at 8pm.
In the eighteenth century plans were made to cut away the front sections of numerous homes along the street to widen the road. As it was thought this would benefit the street as a whole, the affected house-owners were expected to pay for the costs, although the proposals didn’t take place after protests were made.
However in 1958 a Compulsory Purchase Order was made to knock down seventeenth and eighteenth century buildings in order to build some new shops, which were finished in 1960. The decision was perhaps not one of the authority’s best, taking away some of the history from the street. The street was pedestrianised in 1987.