Pavement

The road name pavement means “paved in stone”, and was originally a marketplace and was also the site of executions.

In 1671 Pavement was extended following the demolition of some houses near to All Saints’ Church. From 1672 to 1813, the market cross was also situated here, but the building was demolished to make more space.

In 1830 the city corporation suggested that coaches should not pass through Pavement on Market Day in what was one of the city’s first traffic congestion problems.

Two churches have been sited on Pavement, All Saints’ Church and St Crux Church, the latter of which has been demolished.