Parliament Street is a relatively new street and takes its name from the Act of Parliament that was required to construct it in 1833. The street was laid out between 1835 and 1840 and was built as a wide road to allow market stalls to be placed along the middle. It was decided that houses along Parliament Street should be tall and to fit in and the street first partially opened in 1836.
Parliament Street was built on the site of many houses and shops, as well as the street Jubbergate, and what is now Jubbergate was once High Jubbergate. The street was the site of the market until 1964 when Newgate Market opened, and the large Barclays bank on the street was built in 1901.