The Merchant Adventurers’ Hall in York was built between 1357 and 1361 by the Mercers of York and is one of the earliest medieval guildhalls in the country. In around 1600 the anterooms were built as additions to the building and the hall was used as a jail during the English Civil War.
The building was restored in 1894, where sections of the south-west wall were repaired by subscription, with some general repairs to the structure also being made.The windows were also renewed, with the work being carried out by Demaine and Brierley, at a cost not exceeding 150 pounds. Financing was also made available for work to underpin columns in the basement, and cleaning and rebuilding some gables and repairing some ceilings. In 1947, further remodelling work was done, with 12,000 pounds being spent on repairs. Most of this was spent on rebuilding property which fronted Fossgate. Some work was also undertaken on the chapel and the company agreed that money would be put aside in future to help fund building works.
The building has been used for three main purposes, business in the great hall, charity in the undercroft and religion in the chapel. All three different section of the hall still exist and can be visited by the public, and can be found just off Fossgate. The building is the largest timber framed building in the country which is still used for its original purpose.