In 1720 the city authorities discussed the need for a formal house for the Lord Mayor for the purposes of entertaining and work started in 1725 with two buildings demolished to make way for the new Mansion House, including the Cross Keys Inn. Work finished in 1732 when the Great Room was completed, led by the master carpenter John Terry.
In 1830 the Mansion House was declared as “in an unfit state for the residence of a Chief Magistrate for York” and repairs and improvements were made to the building.
The building was refurbished in 1999 at a cost of 314,000 pounds and remains to this day the home of the Lord Mayor. The city council owns the building and allows access, further information is available on the Mansion House’s web-site at http://www.mansionhouseyork.com/.