Lowther Street connects Huntington Road to Clarence Street was built between 1830 and 1838. The street has a number of blocks of terraced housing and in the mid nineteenth century a depot ground for the military was built on Lowther Street.
In 1853 the construction of the St. Thomas’s Church started on the street, designed by George Fowler Jones and completed in 1854. Jones had also worked on the design of the restructuring of St. John’s Church on Micklegate and the Clifton Hospital. Built in limestone the church is still in use today, although was merged with another parish in 1966 to become St. Thomas with St. Maurice. The church has a web-site at http://www.stthomasyork.org.uk/.
In 1875 there was a court case held in York which was brought by Thomas Scaife, a builder who lived in Lowther Street, against his apprentice, William Stubbs. Stubbs had abandoned his four year apprenticeship just over a year before its end, and Scaife asked the court to either force compensation to be paid to him or for the apprentice to serve out his time. The court, after deciding what level of jurisdiction it had, ordered that William Stubbs should pay compensation and fines of 20 pounds (around 950 pounds in 2012’s money), and be remanded on bail for a week whilst that payment was resolved.