Lendal Chapel was opened in 1816, designed by Charles Watson and James Pigott Pritchett who was also a Congregationalist deacon. The land, opposite the Judges’ Lodgings, had been purchased the previous year
The chapel was expensive to build, costing £3,000 which took several years after construction to fully pay off, the building was of an impressive size, seating around 1,000 people and with space for a Sunday School.
In 1818 a second anniversary dinner and service was held to mark the opening of the chapel, and the York Herald noted that, “the whole of the service was conducted with great feeling, candour, and solmenity; and the liberality of the congregation exceeded that of last year – the sum of £68 5s 8d was collected, towards liquidating the debt on the chapel”.
It ceased to be used in 1929 for worship and the building was altered, but much of the original exterior remains. The building remains open today as a restaurant.