Lady Hewley’s Hospital
Lady Hewley’s Hospital was endowed in 1700 by the widow of John Hewley MP, Lady Sarah Hewley, who lived from 1627 until 1710. Initially it was situated in Tanner Row, but it was forced to move because of the establishment of the railway station on the site in the mid nineteenth century. A new site was opened at St. Saviourgate where the almshouses remain today with a plaque noting the donation. When set up it helped ten elderly women and a separate fund started by Lady Sarah Hewley funded young men who were training for the ministry of non-conformist churches.