Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate
Holy Trinity Church was once part of a Benedictine monastery, which was part of a seven acre monastic complex. The full name of the church is the Priory Church of the Holy Trinity, reflecting its past, even though the Dissolution of the Monasteries meant that all of the other attached monastic buildings were demolished. The church which stands today is only half the length and width of the pre-dissolution church.
The church in its current form dates from the early sixteenth century, although the central tower collapsed in 1551. The building was restored and a new chancel added in the 1850s and the porch was rebuilt from 1902 until 1905. Also at the beginning of the twentieth century there was an extensive excavation into the church, which uncovered much of the original stonework.
Today the church is open for visitors, and has a display on the history of the monastic buildings. Also inside are the stocks which originally stood in the churchyard, notable as they have only five holes, although it is thought that it is a cut down version. A replica of the stocks has been added to the churchyard near the entrance.