Goodramgate takes its name from the Danish personal name “Gutheran” and dates to at least the twelfth century, with other derivatives of the street name being Gutherumgate.
Cholera affected the street in 1832, having spread from the Water Lanes.
Goodramgate is also the entrance to Bedern and Lady Row. Other buildings along the street include the Temperance Lecture Hall and in 1860 a Temperance Festival was held here with 500 people attending. There were calls for the “evil” of alcohol to be banned and for there to be “an endeavour to make total absistence pervade every home in the city of York”. One of the organisers suggested that instead of people spending a total of £60 million on alcohol, it should instead be spent on “good and sound food, suitable clothing and furniture”.
Also on Goodramgate is the Swan Inn, which has held numerous court proceedings, including bankruptcy hearings. In 1830 the City decided to flag the southern side of the street, with the paving consisting of large stones to assist pedestrians.
The York Diocesan Conference was held at Victoria Hall, as were some meetings of York Trades and Labour Council. The building on Goodramgate showed films from 1908, later becoming The Albany, then a dance hall before being demolished in the early 1950s.
In December 1831 the local press noted that an elderly man in the Swan Inn had “dropped down dead while in the act of lighting his pipe”, his death being put down to apoplexy. Also in the same month the shop of Mr Reakham was burgled when his wife went briefly to attend to a job at the rear of the building, stealing £1 (around £50 in today’s money) of metal table and tea-spoons. In 1834 a William White set up a dispensing business on the street, but he did so without any capital and had to obtain the goods on credit. He didn’t repay the debts and soon found himself in front of the local courts.