Cumberland House is situated at 4 Cumberland Street, and was completed in around 1710. The building was built for William Cornwall, Sheriff of York in 1700, and who later became Lord Mayor in 1712 and 1725. The building was extended in the nineteenth century and restored in around 1950.
Cumberland House was used in the late 1800s as a meeting house, including holding conferences and gatherings. In April 1889 it was used for teacher training, led by The Rev RH Hartley as part of the services offered by The Incorporated Sunday School Committee. They also had their library at Cumberland House, with 1,339 volumes.
Ownership of the property has changed many times, including a period when it was a YWCA. The building is currently occupied by Hague & Dixon Solicitors of York.