Coney Street is a short street which links Lendal to Spurriergate and it was originally known as Cuningstrete in 1150. The word comes from the Danish for King, “Kunung”, the original meaning of the name meaning ‘King’s Street’.
The street was the site of the George Inn, an important coaching inn. The hotel was demolished in 1867, although some small sections remains, the old gateway is still visible next to River Island. The Brontes stayed at the hotel, which had stood there for many centuries.
St Martin-le-Grand is situated on the street, which was substantially damaged during the Second World War. The formal name of the church is simply St Martin, Coney Street, and the oldest parts of the church date from the eleventh century. There is a well known clock attached to the church, originally erected in 1668, which survived the damage, and the architect George Gaze Pace restored the church in the 1960s.
Ann Ward, who published the York Courant in the mid eighteenth century, had premises along Coney Street next to the George Inn, and she also published a number of books from these premises which over-looked the River Ouse. The site was used for printing newspapers for over a century, as the same building with some extensions was used to print The Yorkshire Gazette and Herald.