Castle Mills Bridge
There have been numerous bridges at the location of the Castle Mills Bridge which joined Tower Street to Fishergate. The name comes from the mills which formerly belonged to the castle, and the area was well defended due to the proximity to the castle.
The earliest wooden bridge was destroyed during the 1644 Siege of York. A later bridge was destroyed by floods in January 1746 and a new bridge was built in 1836.
A new modern bridge was opened in 1956 and forms part of the city’s Inner Ring Road.