The formal home of the Archbishop of York was once situated by York Minster, but in the early thirteenth century Walter de Grey became Archbishop and purchased land downstream for a new larger palace. He purchased the village of Thorpe St. Andrew by 1316, demolished the manor house, and started to construct the new palace. The old palace by York Minster was kept until the 1560s.
The second expansion stage took place from 1480 until 1500 when the North Wing was added by Archbishop Rotherham and the Great Hall dates from 1660 until 1664. Another stage of development took place between 1761 and 1769 by Archbishop Drummond, who used the architect John Carr with a new frontage to the building added.
The Palace is still used by the Archbishop of York today and there are occasional open days when the public can visit the building. The Palace can also be hired for meetings and functions, with more information on the Archbishop of York’s web-site at http://www.archbishopofyork.org/.