Bathurst House, at 86 Micklegate, was built in the early eighteenth century and is one of the finest properties along Micklegate. In around 1230 the site had been owned by Agnes, the first wife of Nicholas de Bugthorp.
The property was named after a city merchant, Charles Bathurst and his wife Frances, whom the property was built for. And who both died in 1724. His son, also Charles Bathurst, became the High Sheriff of Yorkshire, and continued to live in the building. Following his death it was sold to Sir Abstrupus Danby.
The property continued to be seen locally as important and was well referenced at the time, and in 1752 it was owned by Henry Masterman senior. He advertised it to let in the York Courant in 1753, noting, “4 rooms below and 5 chambers above, with 5 good garrets, a kitchen, washhouse, laundry, large cellars, garden, 2 coach-houses and stable for 9 horses”. The property stayed with the Masterman family for some time before being sold to Elizabeth Richardson in 1813, and then soon after sold to Lucy Willey who resided in the property until 1838.
The house was initially built with two storeys with attics, with the third being added in around 1822 and there were some extensions added to the rear of the building in the late nineteenth century. Internally there is a large basement, which has a length of medieval wall which supports later brick vaulting.
The property has had many uses over the years, from 1872 until 1879 the North Eastern Railway Company used the building as offices and it was used as a surgeon’s offices until 1909. After restoration Bathurst House was used as the Central Hotel from 1911 until 1921 and it was also used by the YWCA from 1921 until the early 1960s. From 1964 until 1965 it was the York University Maths Department’s Headquarters, but has now been occupied by the accountants Barron and Barron for over thirty years.