Barley Hall was built from around 1360, with substantial additions and changes over the following centuries. After extensions in 1430, the building was occupied by William Snawsell.
More recently the house was submerged behind other buildings, until it was purchased by the York Archaeological Trust and restored to its previous primarily medieval condition. Work on the restoration started in 1990 and the building was opened to the public in 1993.
Barley Hall’s official web-site can be found at http://www.barleyhall.org.uk/.