The name Aldwark comes from the Roman “old werk” meaning a fortified place, and the road stretches from Goodramgate to Peasholme Green. The street was also known as Aldwork in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
On the corner of Aldwark and Peasholme Green is St. Anthony’s Guildhall, which now houses the Borthwick Institute, with the Merchant Tailors’ Company also using the Common Hall on Aldwark for their meetings. The Institute was founded by the York Civic Trust in 1953 and contains a large number of documents from Diocesan and Probate Registers.
A fire broke out on Aldwark on 9th October 1881.
From 1885 until 1975 there was a synagogue on the road, and Hunt’s Brewery was also sited on Aldwark until the 1950s. The first permanent Methodist Chapel was sited at 60, Aldgate and Jonathan Martin (who attempted to burn down York Minster) lodged here for a time.
Businesses in the street in 1828 included:
John Barker, corn merchants, no. 32
John Cluderay, joiners, no. 11
Thomas Robinson, joiners
Robert Wisker, joiners, no. 2
Henry Hartley, painters, no. 52
Scruton & Simpson, tailors, no. 57
James Burton, whitesmiths, no. 4