City Hospital was open in York from 1941 until 1996 and was situated on Haxby Road.
The hospital opened with 130 beds and served as a general hospital from 1941 until 1976. The hospital closed in 1977 to allow for renovation work to start in March 1977 and it had 245 beds specialising in geriatric care. The new hospital was opened by the former Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, on the 6th July 1979.
Due to more people being cared for in their own home, new facilities at other hospitals and acute elderly services now at York District Hospital meant that the City Hospital was no longer needed. After some consultations, the hospital finally closed on 6th September 1996.