York Art Gallery
York Art Gallery was opened in 1892, the building having been built in 1878 and being used as The Yorkshire Fine Art and Industrial Institution. The gallery was dominated by the Great Exhibition Hall, which was destroyed in World War Two. Repairs to the main part of the building, which was also damaged by bombing, were completed in 1952.
In 1950 the gallery announced that it intended to bring up-to-date the comprehensive collection of York views which they held by commissioning each year an artist to paint a scene connected with the city of York. For 1950, the gallery commissioned John Piper to paint the scene.
In 1963 the gallery was gifted a large number of paintings held by the Dean of York, the Very Reverend Eric Milner-White, who also had a deep interest in stained glass windows.