York County Hospital
York County Hospital was founded in April 1740 in a rented house in Monkgate as a charitable hospital. Charitable hospitals were becoming more common at the time, being funded by richer individuals who could then choose a number of people they wanted treated in the hospital.
In 1745 the hospital moved to a new larger building fronting onto Monkgate following the purchase of land, which made fifty beds available. In the first five years of the hospital, 2,417 patients had been treated.
The hospital continued to be financed primarily by private subscription, and for example in 1807, a surplus of funds were shared between “the Treasurers of the York County Hospital, Charity Schools, Lunatic Asylum and Dispensary”.
A competition to design a new hospital was started in 1840. The original building opened in 1745 was demolished in 1851 and replaced with a new building costing around 11,000 pounds, 7,000 pounds from subscriptions and 4,000 pounds from existing funds. The new building was built behind the previous building and offered considerably more space, offering one hundred beds.
As an example of the numbers, in 1850 the County Hospital produced a quarterly report confirming that 94 patients were admitted. The hospital had 57 patients who were cured, 26 were relieved, 10 were made into out-patients and 5 died, with the total number of patients being 135.
In 1887, the county hospital merged with the York Eye Institution, which used a ward which had previously set aside as an isolation ward, which had been opened in 1875, but which was only being rarely used. In 1902 a nurses home was built by the hospital with twenty bedrooms, with an extension built in 1908 with another eighteen bedrooms.
When York District Hospital opened in 1976 with six hundred beds, it replaced numerous other institutions, including the County Hospital, Fulford Hospital, Deighton Grove Hospital, Yearsley Bridge Hospital, Acomb Hospital, Military Hospital and City Hospital. The ante-natal clinic remained on the site until 1980. This site was replaced by a supermarket at Jewbury, with the nurses home becoming flats.
The hospital buildings at Monkgate were used for a while as the headquarters of Yorkshire Water, although they were later sold to be used for housing.